Sunday, July 19, 2009

Reflexive pronouns

Object pronoun that refers to the same person as the subject. ‘I cut myself.’ ‘You see yourself as the leader.’ Himself, herself, itself, ourselves, yourselves, themselves, and oneself are the other reflexive pronouns.

The Free Dictionary.

So let’s review:

The committee awarded prizes to Fred and myself.

Unless you and the committee are the same person: wrong.

Fred and myself were the prize winners.

Even more odious, since here “myself” isn’t even used as an object, but rather as a subject.

Unless you want to give yourself away as a hopeless grammar moron, boys and girls, get it right. It’s a very simple rule: unless “I” is the subject of your sentence, just never use the word “myself.”

Golly Spot, where did that come from?

From the misuse of a reflexive pronoun by somebody who ought to know better.

Technorati Tags:

No comments: